500 Little-Known Facts about Joseph Smith by Wayne LewisI was expecting to find really fascinating information that was not well-known in this book. Instead I found:
1) a few things that I didnt already know (Dr. Nathan Smith, who operated on Josephs leg, founded Darmouth, and there is still a first edition Book of Mormon in the Darmouth school library),
2) many things I already knew (Emma was never excommunicated, and never officially left the church)
3) a lot of things that werent very important to me (which Mayflower pilgrims Joseph descended from, a list of 54 children who were named for Joseph Smith followed by a note that undoubtedly there are hundreds more),
4) many things that arent facts at all, but are quotes (At a dozen points it seems its all over. The games up. Theres no way. And yet out of it comes a greater success and a growing movement that ultimately survives --Ronald Esplin),
5) many things that are conjecture (a list of ten logical individuals who could have been witnesses if Joseph were choosing), and
6) personal thoughts and testimonies from the compilers (If you consider by whom he was tutored, Joseph Smith had the equivalent to hundreds of PhDs, as he was taught by God, Christ, and scores of angels --compilers note, or The prophet saw with his spiritual eyes things that no other man has seen --compilers note. How is that a little-known fact?)
The last three categories annoyed me, because I was expecting to read facts, not opinions or conjecture or contemporary opinions or even testimony. I had to wade through a lot of opinions to pick out the facts.
With the very loose organization of the facts and the wide, wide range of items included in the book, it seemed like I was just reading someones personal notebook of their study of Joseph Smith.
There is a lot of useful information in it, but it certainly isnt what one would expect from the title: 500 little-known facts about Joseph Smith.
Crazy Mormon Beliefs
Joseph Smith Facts
But they did not know the full truth about Smith. Jensen said. The four treatises on polygamy reflect a new resolve by a church long accused of secrecy to respond with openness to the kind of thorny historical and theological issues that are causing some to become disillusioned or even to abandon the faith. Elder Steven E. The essays held nothing back, said Richard L. Bushman, who is a Mormon. The younger generation of Mormons will benefit from this step, said Samantha Shelley, co-founder of the website MillennialMormons.
INSPIRATION FOR LIVING A LATTER-DAY SAINT LIFE
Joseph Smith , originally Joseph Smith, Jr. Smith came from an unremarkable New England family.
Please note: Just last week we released an incredible iPad tool www. I felt like Parley P. Pratt when first reading the Book of Mormon: eating and sleeping held no allure. The photographs are stunning, the text is moving, and the story riveting. He lived on a farm in western New York when he had the First Vision.
Fun Mormon Life. Did you know Joseph Smith's famous leg surgery was the fourth in a series of surgeries? As we celebrate Joseph Smith's birthday, here's a list of 15 other interesting facts about Joseph Smith. The first surgery doctors had to lance his shoulder to drain it of infected material, the second and third times they tried to drain his leg, and the fourth time they removed the bone. During the translation of the Book of Mormon, Joseph and Oliver Cowdery translated about 12 pages a day. Joseph Smith was often known for his sense of humor. One of the phrases Heber C.